A lot of factors go into the decision for choosing the right snack: consumer motivations depending on demographic, eating habits, or needs as well as time of day, type of treat or mission.
Did you know?
- Snacking has over 6 visits per head per month vs 4 for lunch4
- Over half of consumers spent £2-£3 on their last snack mission5
- 45% of UK adult population has bought something for snack on the go in the last month4
Considerations in the workplace.
To allow employees to have access to the right types of snacks throughout the day - whether to boost their mood or as fuel to keep them going, a healthier option, or simply their favourite treat - the right range of snacks in the workplace will keep your employees satisfied.
- Did you know that 20% of all OOH chocolate sales go through workplace restaurant segment1
- Workers make informed choices to strike a balance between healthy eating and indulgence**
- 3 in 4 British adults tend to snack around the same time each day. Peaks in the mid-morning, lunch and the afternoon but the UK the average time is 15:41^
- Convenience is key when it comes to attributes to snacking, impacting the choice of snack^. The average lunch break in workplace is just 22 minutes and while the average global snack break is 15 minutes in the UK we only pause for 10 minutes for a snack^
Making the most in the areas you cater:
Operator performance: layout/traffic flow, range of product offerings, hours of business as well as out of hours snacking service, any product or category gaps
Edit offerings: listing top-selling snacks that appeal to a wide audience. Ensure cover all segments from sweet to savoury
Maximise profitability: having the right products in the right place at the right time, to make the most of sales - rotate products through daypart, re-stock to ensure there is always plentiful supply, ensure impulse locations are maximised for snacks, replace slow moving stock with higher demand options to increase sales
Merchandise & promote: in a restaurant or café, ensure customers can see the great branded products with eye-catching displays, right merchandising, offers & promotions.
Business & Industry Sources
1 Source Kantar OOH panel Dec 2019
2 Nielsen GB - Total Market | 52 w/e 29 Dec 19
3 HIM Food to Go 08/2019
4 MCA Eating Out Panel Q2 2019
5 Kantar Usage, 52w/e 11th Aug 2019 vs. 2018 & 2015, million occasions, Total Chocolate In Home & Carried Out. Based on occasions growth for Total Food 2019 vs. 2018. Omnibus survey of 2,000 UK respondents, nationally representative and Online Community
* Sales Out , One View FY2019
** IGD Jan 2020
*** Nielsen Total Market , 52 weeks , 5th October 2019
^ State of Snacking, Harris Poll on behalf of Mondelez, Sept 2019 n501 UK