Stocking the right range of snacks is vital to meet a variety of consumer needs, whatever the demographic, mission or time of day.
Did you know?
- 45% of UK adult population has bought something for snack on the go in the last month5
- 3 in 4 British adults tend to snack around the same time each day. Peaks in the mid-morning, lunch and the afternoon but the UK the average time is 15:41^
- Convenience is king when it comes to snacking, stongly influencing the choice of snack^. The average lunch break in workplace is just 22 minutes and while the average global snack break is 15 minutes in the UK we only pause for 10 minutes for a snack^
Considerations for coffee shops and bakeries.
To allow consumers to have access to the right types of snacks throughout the day - whether to boost their mood,a treat with friends and family, a healthier option, desiring solid chocolate or simply wanting their favourite - the right range of snacks in coffee shops and bakeries will ensure satisfaction and loyalty.
- 28% of all OOH sweet snacking sales go through Café/Coffee Shops, which is growing at 4%1
- 13% of all OOH chocolate sales go through the coffee shop segment*
- Coffee Shops have the greatest share of breakfast visits of all end segments at 27.5% (+2pp) 4. The second largest share of visits is for snacking @16%. Average snack spend is £4.91 (+3%)4
Making the most in the areas you cater to:
Operator performance: layout/traffic flow, range of product offerings, ensure the display is always looking at its best, even during the busiest periods
Edit offerings: listing top-selling snacks that appeal to a wide audience, ensuring you cover all segments from sweet to savoury
Maximise profitability: having the right products in the right place at the right time, to make the most of sales - rotate products throughout the day, re-stocking to ensure there is always a plentiful supply, ensure impulse locations in flow of queue traffic are maximised for snacks, replacing slow moving stock with higher demand options to increase sales
Merchandise & promote: ensure customers can see great branded products with eye-catching displays, right merchandising, offers & promotions.
Coffee Shops & Bakeries Sources
1 Source Kantar OOH panel Dec 2019
2 Nielsen GB - Total Market | 52 w/e 29 Dec 19
3 HIM Food to Go 08/2019
4 MCA Eating Out Panel Q2 2020
* Sales Out , One View FY2019
** IGD Jan 2020
*** Nielsen Total Market , 52 weeks , 5th October 2019
^ State of Snacking, Harris Poll on behalf of Mondelez, Sept 2019 n501 UK