INSIGHT & GROWTH POTENTIAL
With the changing landscape of out of home consumption since the Global Pandemic, UK coffee shops are benefitting from the consumer pull of fast service with apps to order ahead and clear menu offering. As a leading manufacturer for snacking, we understand trends and interpret insights to ensure you have the right categories, products & solutions to maximise on-the-go. From the number 1 branded hot chocolate*, branded ingredients and plenty of recipe ideas to excite your consumers.
Stocking the right range of snacks is vital to meet a variety of consumer needs, whatever the demographic, mission or time of day.
DID YOU KNOW?
- 45% of UK adult population has bought something for snack on the go in the last month 5
- 3 in 4 British adults tend to snack around the same time each day. Peaks in the mid-morning, lunch and the afternoon but the UK the average time is 15:41 ^
- Convenience is king when it comes to snacking, stongly influencing the choice of snack^. The average lunch break in workplace is just 22 minutes and while the average global snack break is 15 minutes in the UK we only pause for 10 minutes for a snack ^
CONSIDERATIONS FOR COFFEE SHOPS AND BAKERIES.
To allow consumers to have access to the right types of snacks throughout the day - whether to boost their mood,a treat with friends and family, a healthier option, desiring solid chocolate or simply wanting their favourite - the right range of snacks in coffee shops and bakeries will ensure satisfaction and loyalty.
- 28% of all OOH sweet snacking sales go through Café/Coffee Shops, which is growing at 4% 1
- 13% of all OOH chocolate sales go through the coffee shop segment *
- Coffee Shops have the greatest share of breakfast visits of all end segments at 27.5% (+2pp)4. The second largest share of visits is for snacking @16%. Average snack spend is £4.91 (+3%) 4
MAKING THE MOST IN THE AREAS YOU CATER TO:
Operator performance: layout/traffic flow, range of product offerings, ensure the display is always looking at its best, even during the busiest periods.
Edit offerings: listing top-selling snacks that appeal to a wide audience, ensuring you cover all segments from sweet to savoury.
Maximise profitability: having the right products in the right place at the right time, to make the most of sales - rotate products throughout the day, re-stocking to ensure there is always a plentiful supply, ensure impulse locations in flow of queue traffic are maximised for snacks, replacing slow moving stock with higher demand options to increase sales.
Merchandise & promote: ensure customers can see great branded products with eye-catching displays, right merchandising, offers & promotions.
WHICH PRODUCTS ARE BEST?
- In UK Coffee Shops, at breakfast #1 is cookie followed by cake - both increased +5% in the last quarter. At lunch and snack cake is #14
- 49% of consumers say that branded confectionery is very important when buying food-to-go. Confectionery 3rd is the most popular FTG item3
- 1 in 5 people see confectionary as the most important part of the meal deal3
- Over 70% of confectionery purchases are made on IMPULSE3
- 1 in every 4 chocolate bars sold in foodservice is a Cadbury* product
- Hot chocolate is the fourth most popular drink after coffee when snacking
DON'T FORGET WE MANUFACTURE THE UK’S NUMBER 1 BRANDED HOT CHOCOLATE CADBURY* - THE IDEAL OFFER FOR COFFEE SHOPS AND BAKERIES
- With the UK coffee shop culture leading the way - what must not be overlooked is a branded hot chocolate to accompany coffee and tea. With a loyal consumer base Cadbury hot chocolate is the right choice which consumers love, with added value recipe ideas to help your barista - we can help
- Higher penetration - Cadbury 88% vs Galaxy 52% 2
- Higher frequency - Cadbury 17.1 vs Galaxy 5.8 2
- Higher repeat rate - Cadbury 86.9% vs 57.3% Galaxy 2
COFFEE SHOPS & BAKERIES SOURCES
1 Source Kantar OOH panel Dec 2019
2 Nielsen GB - Total Market | 52 w/e 29 Dec 19
3 HIM Food to Go 08/2019
4 MCA Eating Out Panel Q2 2020
* Sales Out , One View FY2019
** IGD Jan 2020
*** Nielsen Total Market , 52 weeks , 5th October 2019
^ State of Snacking, Harris Poll on behalf of Mondelez, Sept 2019 n501 UK