Snacking Right In the Public Sector
These unprecedented times have seen big challenges and changes in out of home, with a huge emphasis on healthcare, education and social care. However, as the industry adapts to new ways, we are here to help. As a leading manufacturer for snacking and hot chocolate, we understand trends and interpret insights to ensure you have the right categories, products & solutions – whether for cafes/restaurants, staff rooms or vending.
Stocking the right range of snacks is vital to meet the variety of needs, whatever the demographic, mission or time of day.
DID YOU KNOW?
- Snacking has over 6 visits per head per month vs 4 for lunch 4
- Over half of consumers spent £2-£3 on their last snack mission 5
- 45% of UK adult population have bought a snack on-the-go in the last month 5
CONSIDERATIONS FOR SNACKING.
It is vital to ensure consumers have access to the right types of snacks throughout the day - whether to boost mood or as fuel to keep going, as a healthier option, needing solid chocolate or simply a favourite.
- 3 in 4 British adults tend to snack around the same time each day. Peaks in the mid-morning, lunch and the afternoon but the UK the average time is 15:41 ^
- Convenience is king when it comes to attributes to snacking, impacting the choice of snack ^
- 70% of all chocolate sold in foodservice are chocolate bars *
- 49% of consumers say branded confectionery is very important when buying food-to-go. Confectionery 3rd most popular food-to-go item 3
- 1 in every 4 chocolate bars sold in foodservice is Cadbury *
CONSIDERATIONS FOR HOT CHOCOLATE.
As the fourth most popular drink after coffee when snacking 4, hot chocolate is vital for any drinks menu. Growing ahead of tea and coffee at +2.5% out of home, and with a 37% volume sold in tin and 25% in vending bags *, we want you to make the most of this opportunity.
- With the UK coffee shop culture leading the way, feeding consumer expectation wherever they are out of home, and 73% of consumers preferring to by a a branded hot chocolate, Cadbury hot chocolate is the right choice which consumers love. We provide the right hot chocolate solutions for you.
- Cadbury is the number 1 brand hot chocolate *
- Higher penetration - Cadbury 88% vs Galaxy 52% 2
- Higher frequency - Cadbury 17.1 vs Galaxy 5.8 2
- Higher repeat rate - Cadbury 86.9% vs 57.3% Galaxy 2
1 Source Kantar OOH panel Dec 2019
2 Nielsen GB - Total Market | 52 w/e 29 Dec 19
3 HIM Food to Go 08/2019
4 MCA Eating Out Panel Q2 2020
5 Kantar Usage, 52w/e 11th Aug 2019 vs. 2018 & 2015, million occasions, Total Chocolate In Home & Carried Out. Based on occasions growth for Total Food 2019 vs. 2018. Omnibus survey of 2,000 UK respondents, nationally representative and Online Community
* Sales Out , One View FY2019
** IGD Jan 2020
*** Nielsen Total Market , 52 weeks , 5th October 2019
^ State of Snacking, Harris Poll on behalf of Mondelez, Sept 2019 n501 UK
^^ MCA | OPERATOR DATA INDEX MONTHLY ANALYSIS HOTELS © 2020