These unprecedented times have seen big challenges and changes in out of home. The scale of impact for vending depends in which segment the snacking or drinks facility sits. However, as the industry adapts to new ways, we are here to help. As a leading manufacturer for snacking and hot chocolate, we understand trends and interpret insights to ensure you have the right categories, products & solutions.
A lot of factors go into the decision-making process for choosing the right snack: consumer motivations depend on demographic, eating habits, or needs as well as time of day, type of treat or mission.
DID YOU KNOW?
- Snacking has the most frequency by day part - over 6 visits per head per month +0.4% and vs 4 for lunch 4
- Over half of consumers spent £2-£3 on their last snack mission 5
- 45% of UK adult population has bought something for snack on-the-go in the last month 5
CONSIDERATIONS FOR SNACKING IN VENDING.
It is vital to ensure 24/7 access to the right types of snacks throughout the day - whether to boost mood or as fuel to keep going, as healthier option, needing solid chocolate or simply a favourite.
- 70% of all chocolate sold in foodservice are chocolate bars *
- 49% of consumers say branded confectionery is very important when buying food-to-go. Confectionery 3rd most popular food-to-go item 3
- Over 70% of confectionery purchases are made on IMPULSE 3
- 1 in every 4 chocolate bars sold in foodservice is Cadbury
- 3 in 4 British adults tend to snack around the same time each day. Peaks in the mid-morning, lunch and the afternoon but the UK the average time is 15:41 ^
- Convenience is king when it comes to attributes to snacking, impacting the choice of snack ^. The average lunch break in workplace is just 22 minutes and just 10 minutes for a snack break 1
CONSIDERATIONS FOR HOT CHOCOLATE IN VENDING.
As the fourth most popular drink after coffee when snacking 4, hot chocolate is important for any drinks menu. Growing ahead of tea and coffee at +2.5% out of home, and with a quarter of total hot chocolate delivered through vending *, we want you to make the most of this opportunity.
- With the UK coffee shop culture leading the way, feeding consumer expectation wherever they are out of home, and 73% of consumers preferring to by a branded hot chocolate, Cadbury hot chocolate is the right choice which consumers love. We provide the right vending solutions for your business.
- Cadbury is the number 1 brand hot chocolate *
- Higher penetration - Cadbury 88% vs Galaxy 52% 2*
- Higher frequency - Cadbury 17.1 vs Galaxy 5.8 2*
- Higher repeat rate - Cadbury 86.9% vs 57.3% Galaxy 2*
1 Source Kantar OOH panel Dec 2019
2 Nielsen GB - Total Market | 52 w/e 29 Dec 19
3 HIM Food to Go 08/2019
4 MCA Eating Out Panel Q2 2020
5Kantar Usage, 52w/e 11th Aug 2019 vs. 2018 & 2015, million occasions, Total Chocolate In Home & Carried Out. Based on occasions growth for Total Food 2019 vs. 2018. Omnibus survey of 2,000 UK respondents, nationally representative and Online Community
* Sales Out , One View FY2019
** IGD Jan 2020
*** Nielsen Total Market , 52 weeks , 5th October 2019
^ State of Snacking, Harris Poll on behalf of Mondelez, Sept 2019 n501 UK
^^ MCA | OPERATOR DATA INDEX MONTHLY ANALYSIS HOTELS © 2020